Sunday 10 April 2016

26/09/15 - Cambridge 1 - 0 Stevenage

Ok so let's be honest it's taken me a fair amount of time to write this post but there is a genuine reason I promise. PC issues, time issues, photo uploading issues etc. All sorted now so excuse the lateness!

On Saturday 26th September 2015 it was my first wedding anniversary so the wife and I decided to go away for a night and we picked Cambridge, simply because we'd never been and we fancied checking it out. We also booked a day punting on the river, as near to Venice as we could get.

Low and behold, it just so happened that on that day Cambridge Utd. were at home to Stevenage. As my wife is super understanding she agreed that she would just chill if I wanted to go and watch the match. Bless her!

After a delayed set off time, we didn't arrive at our B&B until 2.30pm so I'd resigned myself to the fact it wasn't going to happen as I would have to find the stadium, park up etc. However by a stroke of luck, as we pulled up to our abode for the night we saw lots of fans walking to the ground so I dumped my stuff and off I went. it turned out that I'd booked a hotel ten minutes from the ground. What a stroke of luck!

So off I strolled following the crowd and got to the R Costings Abbey Stadium about 2.50pm. Perfect timing, And to top off the luck, the sun was shining so it was a lovely sunny September afternoon. As for the football, well I'll be honest it wasn't a great match. In fact I'd resigned myself to the fact I was about to witness my first 0-0 draw until about the 92nd minute when the home side went and popped in a last minute winner! A great day all round and just goes to show you should never leave a game until the end.

The stadium itself is very much like a non-league ground, which of course it was only a couple of years ago. Very basic and based just on a main road leading into Cambridge city centre. The weather probably made it feel better than it was but the openness of the ground is something that I liked. These modern stadiums are great but you can't beat a small local stadium for a cracking atmosphere.

And to top it all off, a ten minute walk back to the hotel with joyous Cambridge fans, and then a night out with the wife for a celebratory meal. Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment